Rad Reading – February

This month I read Two Can Keep a Secret by Karen M. McManus. This book follows Ellery who has just moved to a small town called Echo Ridge to live with her grandmother. Ellery’s aunt disappeared from Echo Ridge 17 years ago when she was teen, and still hasn’t been found. It also follows Malcom whose brother is thought to be the killer of his girlfriend, a teen who went missing and then was found murdered a couple years ago. Then another girl goes missing, and Malcom and Ellery become friends to try to figure out what is happening to all these girls. But, will trying to get justice for these girls put themselves in danger?

I really liked this book. It had many twists and turns that I was not expecting. It kept me on the edge of my seat until the very end. I also really liked the setting because I like when books take place in small towns. It gives the book a homey feel because everyone knows everyone and it’s like a big family. Karen M. McManus is a very good writer and her books always keep me guessing. I would really recommend this book.

My favorite character was Ellery. She was very fun to read about and her history was interesting. A character trait she has is smart. A quote that would prove how smart she is would be, “All of Fright Farm’s success is based on how much people love to be scared in a controlled environment. There’s something deeply satisfying about confronting a monster and escaping unscathed. Real monsters aren’t anything like that. They don’t let go.” This shows how she is wise enough to understand why people like to be scared when it’s fake but once it becomes real it is impossible to escape the fear.

My favorite quote from this book is, “When you come into the world with another person, they’re as much a part of you as your heartbeat.” I like this quote because it shows how much Ellery cares about her twin brother, Ezra. They were really close and like best friends to each other as they solved the mystery together along with Malcom.